Beers and Bourbons Guild Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battle.net Authentication

2 posters

Go down

Battle.net Authentication Empty Battle.net Authentication

Post  Sakrosanct Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:46 pm

Hi Guy and Gals,

Firstly, sorry to the Heroic group I was with.... I got booted out of the game and ended up with a screen on my login asking for my Digital Authentication Code. Cut a long story short, I can't get back in.

So I hit up google for answers and even Blues on the wow forums are saying this can mean account compromisation... I don't believe it as I am ultra cautious. I am still trying to get in but getting nowhere.

My gut tells me it is a bad glitch with Battle.net but I am worried about losing everything now Sad

I don't know how long this will take...

Pretty gutted about it... nothing like this has happened to me in 4 years.

Be in touch soon.

Sakrosanct

Back to top Go down

Battle.net Authentication Empty Re: Battle.net Authentication

Post  Sakrosanct Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:08 pm

Link to my forum query

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=22418857943&sid=1

Not looking good Sad

I saw nothing about buying an authenticator for my account... I can't believe it!

Anyway... I will have to call them tomorrow during business hours to try to fix this...

Not happy Jan.

Hopefully will see you all soon... assuming I have an account and players, gold, gear etc.

If I can't recover this I am going to be plenty upset and my not return.

Check out this Authenticator thing if you haven't already. Sounds like this is happening frequently.

Sakrosanct

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakrosanct Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:22 pm

I may have figured out what happened.

I think I might have gone to a dodgy version of wow armory... i recall it asking for my account details... I feel so stupid but was not aware of the recent problems... lots of people are experiencing the same thing.

So yeah, avoid Armory, or at least double check the URL address... whatever you do, do not put in personal details into the site... I can't believe I have done this... I am normally right on top of these things.

Gahh!

Sakrosanct

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakrosanct Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:41 pm

I got a mate of mine to contact Richo I think it was to kick my toons out of the guild to save risking the guild bank but fortunately afaik nothing has been touched... I have been demoted for now so I can't do any damage.

I do understand that my own guild bank (shared with my mate) with 1000's of gold and goods is now cleared out... not sure about my chars yet until I can get back in...

I can't believe that a 'security measure' put in place by Blizzard/Battle.net is being used against its clients by the very people they are supposed to be stopping... what happened to email verification? why not make it so you get an email to confirm you want to lock your account?

Lots of people on the forums are also affected... Blizzard/Battle.net have to accept some responsibility.

Saying that, I do accept my role in this. Very hard to stomach to be honest.

Sakrosanct

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakrosanct Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:50 am

After waiting on the phone for an hour I managed to speak with Blizzard. They said they detected something was wrong and suspended my account. Whoever it was moved all my guild bank gear and gold (shared with a mate) into my bags in prep to move it on/sell etc I guess but must have gotten thwarted half way through.

Unfortunately Sakrosanct has lost a good third of his epics so I am currently sitting in game with a petition to try to recover it all. Aside from this I seem to have everything else intact (I think).

All my chars who were able to hearth to a bank etc were standing at the bankers when I logged in... even my mage had ported himself to a bank and was standing at a guild vault (he doesn't belong to a guild lol). Who knows... if they didn't waste time selling Sakro's gear they might have got away with the guild bank booty. I guess they aren't all together very smart.

I am just so glad they didn't attack the B&B vault. I feel so sickened by it all.

So yep, very humbling this has been... I now have an authenticator on my account which I knew nothing about prior to last night but I have been informed that my account will now be safe... so they tell me.

I hope this information saves anyone else from going through the frustration I have been through over the last 12 hours. Just remember to keep virus and malware scans up on your PC... verify any addon you are downloading, be ultra cautious of phishing websites asking for your account details (like what happened to me) periodically change your passwords and don't make them obvious... and DO NOT use the same email/password combo for other things you do outside of wow. Consider the Battle.net Authenticator... I got one free on my iPhone.

Once again I am sorry to the heroic guild run I was in at the time of the hack, I was just about to tell Ken at the time that I was experiencing problems and don't normally so I better check out my port forwarding... the last thing I saw was Ken ask "why?" a second before before the attack.

Sakrosanct

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakrosanct Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:29 am

I made a follow up post while sitting here for 5 hours waiting for a GM doing nothing on the wow forums

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=22418708329&sid=1

Awareness raising attempt... I know I will probably get flamed a bit for it but I don't mind... if it helps someone else then that's all I care about.

Sakrosanct

Back to top Go down

Post  Snipa Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:27 pm

Battle net mailing list has always been screwed, I know that.

Ever since I signed in there, I get messages going on about how my account has been banned, hacked, you name it. Can tell because their spelling and grammar are terrible. That and the obviously fake email address they're sending it from.
Snipa
Snipa

http://myspace.com/billy_creek3

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum